Avenir Gallery in the UCA
Current Exhibition: January 17, 2017 – August 11, 2017
Eco Fashion: Through the Looking Glass
'Eco-Fashion' features student-designed and created fashions, made of recycled materials, and inspired by Lewis Carroll's 1871 novel Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There. Fun and serious at the same time, these inspired garments are part of an academic assignment for the design foundations course in the Department of Design and Merchandising, and were worn in the Fall 2016 Recycled Fashion Show produced by CSU's student chapter of Fashion Group International.
Thursday Evening Lecture Series - February 16, 2017
Eco Fashion: Through the Looking Glass- Professor Diane Sparks of CSU’s Department of Design and Merchandising presents a fascinating introduction to ‘Eco Fashion’, which is a centerpiece of the Design Foundation (AM 130) course. Students create garments using recycled materials incorporating the elements and principles of design, using some sewing skills but also employing creative strategies to employ duct tape, hot glue and staples to mold unconventional materials to three-dimensional forms for the human body. Join us to hear how students learn about the fundamentals of garment design and gain awareness of the concept of sustainability in the fashion industry. Could you design a gown made of playing cards?
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Avenir Museum, Classroom 157, 216 East Lake Street, UCA-East building - Campus Map
Cost: FREE and open to the public
Location and Hours
The Avenir Gallery in the UCA features exhibitions from the Avenir collections, current student creative design work, or loans from the larger community and textile practitioners.
- Location: Room 115 (first floor), 1400 Remington Street, University Center for the Arts (old Fort Collins High School) - a short walk from the Avenir Museum - Campus Map
- Hours: Monday through Friday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Admission: Free; self guided
- Closed for University Holidays, Fall, Winter & Spring Breaks
- Contact: (970) 491-1983
- Parking: There is no dedicated visitor parking for the University Center for the Arts. On-street parking is located in the neighborhoods surrounding the University Center for the Arts and the Avenir Museum.
- Summer and Fall 2016 - Vera's Happy Hodgepodge: Handwork as Health
- Spring 2016 - The Power of Maya Women's Artistry
- Spring 2015 - FGI Pop Art Fashion Show
- Fall 2014 - Spring 2015 - Kuna Molas: Sewn Stories and the Interplay of Tradition and Change
- Fall 2013 - Spring 2014 - The Intricate Web - Lacemaking, Trade, and Tradition
- Spring 2013 - Bright, Colorful Peruvian Highlands Textiles
- Fall 2012 - ABC’S of the Avenir
- Spring 2012 - Hawaiian Quilts: God in Expression
- Fall 2011 - The Fine Art of Marbling
- Spring 2011 - Little Black Dress: 85 Years of Effortless Style and Elegant Mystery
- Fall 2010 - Mr. Blackwell: A Retrospective
- Spring 2010 - The Silk Road Artisans of Uzbekistan
- Fall 2009 - Woven to Wear: Navajo and Hopi textiles from the Durango collection
- Spring 2009 - Window to the World